Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's Tomato Time!!!


Tomato Plant on 4/24

This is the tomato plant about two weeks after getting it from the Farmers Market. When I bought it the lady told me to plant it deep and I found out that the hole that you dig should literally be dug 4 inches deeper than the whole base of the plant, so that about 4 inches of stem where underground too. Trim the bottom most smallest leaves.

After a week or too I questioned whether or not to prune it more and found this really great diagram illustrating which stems should be trimmed and which shouldn't. Pruning can reduce harmful pathogens that can turn your plant leaves yellow. It also promotes strong vertical growth, basically: It get big...


The next step with the plant was just to cage it. I bought this really cheap cage at Lowe's hardware along with a cayenne pepper plant, a banana pepper plant, and some flowers.

This is my tomato plant a week later (4/29) and I've already had to change out the old cage for a bigger one--it got so much bigger than I expected!

I'll add more pictures and tales of my trials and tribulations with my tomato plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment